Friday, June 28, 2013

You don't know what you don't know

Ah, the lazy days of summer are now upon us... Unfortunately this often means air-conditioning hibernation for many MS patients-myself included.  However, this summer I have been blessed with central air so I may have to hibernate, but at least it’s not just one room.  In my old digs, I spent many a summer day stuck in my bedroom, for it was the only room cool enough for me to function in.  So today, I shall give thanks for my improved housing situation and the dehumidified freedom it provides.
 
But alas, this week I must share a gripe as well. On Monday I had an appointment with my primary doctor whose office is in Budd Lake.  So let’s count the multiple variables that were working against me that day: It was quite hot out. My aide called out that morning so I had no help getting dressed or putting on my shoes. I was as devoid of energy as I have been the past month.  So-the odds were already somewhat stacked against me.  I did not even bother trying to wrestle shoes on so I just went barefoot.  I somehow made it to my car where I was blasted with heat and had to sit and be immobile for a bit. But I ultimately made it into the car and used my handy cloth belt to drag my legs into position. Hooray, it only took me 90 minutes to get dressed and to the car!
 
The drive itself was quite fun actually- I hadn’t taken Falcor for an extended journey in a long time.  When I got to the doctors office parking lot, the handicapped spaces were taken.  Mind you, even the ‘accessible’ space often IS NOT due to insufficient room to deploy my wheelchair ramp.  So I parked diagonally across two spaces, trusting that the handicap placard AND the writing on the van that states, “ramp installed, do not park within eight feet” would excuse my having taken two spots.  After my appointment was over, I hauled myself back into the drivers seat (only 15 minutes that time!) and was about to start the car when I saw it: a note tucked under the windshield wiper.  I couldn’t reach it from the window and NO WAY was I getting out and in again  just to fetch it, so I called back up to the office and one of the receptionists came down to get it for me.  My heart sank before I read it because I just knew it was going to say something ignorant or worse.  It went something like this, “Just because you have that blue tag doesn’t give you the right to park anywhere you damn please...” There was more written about how rude and inconsiderate I was, but I stopped reading.  The receptionist, who’s always been nice to me, said she thought she knew who wrote it, that it was someone from another office in the building and that I shouldn’t take it personally because that woman is a notorious b***h.  But of course, my hyper-emotionally self was crushed.  Somewhere nearby was a person who probably felt vindicated in writing that note to me, not knowing the real reason I took two spaces.   It’s not like I drive a friggin Ferrari, it’s a minivan!   It made me so unbelievably sad to think how justified that schmuck felt, how he or she probably drove off thinking they put me in my place.  If only they’d opened their eyes a bit to see the warning on the van door OR the folded up ramp, were they to peek inside.  That jerk got to feel righteous about writing that note and I just cried out of frustration.  I realize the ‘able-bodied’ world around me cannot always grasp what it’s like to be a slave to a wheelchair. But there are days when I just wish they could roll a day in my life-or any handicapped person’s life for that matter.  I often feel there is an unconscious conceit in being able-bodied, that state of ‘ignorant bliss’ that enables the average person to take their legs or arms or brain for granted.  

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, don't let an idiot bring you down. If writing rude notes and feeling self-righteous is the only thing that gets her through the day, it's her loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a contributing follow-up to your blog, Daniela and I spoke to several tenants and staff members in the building, and we were specifically referred to the landlord of the building. When we got to that office, we identified ourselves as freelance contributors to a blog regarding bullying, in this case of a handicapped patron of the building, and that we had been advised of an incident in the parking lot of said building. We referenced the note on your windshield. We were then asked by a receptionist if the victim was their patient, and when we reported that you were indeed not, we were asked why we would come to their office then. We advised we had been referred to that office to speak to the landlord and then we asked another receptionist if she knew who the landlord was. We were advised that she did not. We then offered her the name of the person we believed to be the landlord. In response, the receptionist then referred us to a woman she identified as the office manager. This woman (who also initially identified herself as the office manager) began grilling us on who we were and what we wanted. After explaining a second time, she asked to speak with us in the hallway. She re-identified herself as an office manager and then appeared to be confused about the incident. When we asked again to speak to the landlord, she then identified herself as the such. She did not provide any proof of this new assertion of identity, and so I will not offer any concession to the validity of this identification.
    When we advised we had been in contact with the victim of a discrimination and refreshed her memory about the letter, she suddenly remembered it and stated that it was a very polite note and that she had not actually given it any additional thought after having read it. We asked if she had retained a copy of the letter after which she quickly redirected our attention to the fact that the lot has the legal minimum of handicapped parking. She then went on to tell us about people who park in the fire lane.
    We politely informed her we had no interest in other stories or the legal compliance of the building, and that we were specifically interested in the letter. We then asked again if she had retained a copy. She said we couldn't see it as she had already disposed of it, having considered it polite rather than rude. She then redirected again to compliance issues and other patrons.
    I remarked that we seemed to have conflicting information on the content of the letter but that we were glad she was taking it seriously and reminded her that there are citizens out there like us who are watching and defending the victims of bullying. It is the opinion of Daniela and I that at the very least the "landlord" or someone acting in his/her stead, is now aware of the situation and that citizens are closely monitoring its outcome. We believe that although this may not bring the culprit forward or lead to the identification of the attacker, if the attacker was a staff member or tenant, it will at least give them pause to reconsider future acts of discrimination or bullying. If the culprit was a fellow patron, hopefully this blog will circulate to them as well. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete