Thursday, April 25, 2013

Being short on my earth day excursion


This week I had a mini Earth Day excursion with my sister and niece. We wandered around the back parking lot of the complex picking up litter. For some reason the line of trees by the train tracks was a graveyard of plastic bags. So as we made the rounds, I carried the garbage bag and they collected icky stuff using both my handy grabber and a pair of kitchen tongs. There was my cute niece, doing her part to beautify the world a little bit and looking awfully cute while doing it. The use of a kitchen tool may seem odd, but I’ve brought those tongs to many an excursion, most often to ShopRite or Target, to grab things off higher shelves. Most times there are nice folks to ask for assistance but the tongs are a nice backup. Mind you, I am tall (5’9”) but that doesn't matter so much anymore as being wheelchair bound has rendered me, well, short. There are many days where I miss being ‘normal’ but oftentimes I miss being tall the most! I was proud to be the go-to gal for reaching high cabinets and always psyched to be right next to the teacher in class pictures! Yet another MS adjustment I’ve made and continue to make peace with-asking for help.

I wish I had taken a ‘before’ picture of the back lot because it really does look better after just a bit of litter collection. And I was proud to include my family in my Commons pride
.
This Friday we are having a game night in the common room with the Allendale Women’s Club. Word on the street is that we’ll be playing not for money but for scratch-off lottery tickets. I LOVE instant lottery tickets! I used to have pretty good luck with them, even won 500$ once! So wish me luck-I hope to regale you next week with my amazing game night victories, but we shall see...

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you actually did something for Earth Day! My niece reminded my yesterday that it's "Earth WEEK". I told her well then can't April be "Earth MONTH?". Then she said it should be "Earth year every year" :)
    Good luck on your scratch offs! :)

    ReplyDelete