Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Seeing it again from new eyes


My Blog Soundtrack: Kate Earl

Hola from Apartment Awesome! Another week, another chapter in the story of my life at Crescent Commons... This week has been fairly fantastic, which is thankfully proving to be a common theme here! Yesterday, the MS Society began holding a weekly Yoga class in the common room. I was present only at the beginning to let the teacher in but managed to hang around for a few minutes to meet some of the participants. Most of them had never been to Crescent Commons before so I was privy to their first impressions. Not surprisingly, the opinions were unanimously positive! I was reminded of my first time seeing the common room, when I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony held in November of last year. I knew how these new visitors were feeling...The general state of jaws being dropped and eyes widening in appreciation... It occurred to me how quickly I have grown accustomed to my surroundings. This is not to say that I’m now somehow immune to loving the complex, because I love my four walls EVERY DAY-believe me. Rather, it was wonderful to see my home from the perspective of a newcomer, to see it for the first time all over again. Many folks remarked how they would love to live in a place like this but they either didn’t know such opportunities existed or were hesitant to transition from their current living situation. I definitely understand both of these viewpoints. A huge part of this part of this blog is to get that much more information out there so others like me can know how wonderful the leap to accessible living has been for me. And I hope, I wish with massive power, that my story (all of our stories!) will spread like goodwill wildfire until every person who needs such an opportunity gets their wish. I know how enormously lucky I am to be here at Crescent Commons and I want to share the luck, disseminate the experience, spread the word... I know it’s working, because I’ve gotten great blog feedback. So keep it up, readers-tell people about that wacky girl with the blog and how she is somehow opening your eyes to an entire population of awesome folks in need of their own story to tell. My wish was granted when I moved here so I now take on the oh-so-humble task of trying to repeat the experience for any and every person that needs it like I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment